August 24, 2012

CAS-ual Fridays #67--Banners & Flags


Another week has come and gone, can you believe it?  I hope my friends in the Northern Hemisphere are making the most of the last days of summer.  My little family has been busy trying to squeeze in as much fun as possible before school starts.  How about you?

It just wouldn't be the start of another weekend without a new CAS-ual Fridays challenge, of course.  :)  This week we want to see your clean and simple designs using banners and flags!


I never really jumped on the banner trend, though I love seeing them on other people's cards and layouts.  To get my creativity flowing, I did a quick search on Pinterest and came across this fantastic quilt:

Source: flickr.com via Christina on Pinterest
This design really spoke to me with its bright patterns on a crisp white background and perfectly stitched seams.  It was super easy to turn it into a card, too.

Using a banner die, I cut all of the banners from papers in the Fancy Pants Off to School collection.  The red banner was stamped with a paper clip from Paper Smooches Smarty Pants set.

All of the banners were adhered to a white panel that was debossed with the Linen & Canvas impression plate, as a nod to the fabric in the inspiration piece.  I stitched across the tops and added tiny bows on the edges.

With such a busy background, I didn't want a fussy sentiment treatment, so I simply punched a circle from lined paper, stamped a sentiment from Smarty Pants, and adhered it with foam tape.

Cardstock:  WPlus9 Design Studio (White)
Patterned paper:  Fancy Pants (Off to School)
Stamps:  Paper Smooches (Smarty Pants)
Ink:  Stampin' Up! (Chocolate Chip)
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (banner die, Linen & Canvas impression plate), EK Success (circle punch)
Accessories:  thread

The other Girl Fridays have even more fun and clever uses of banners and flags to share today, so stop by and leave them some love, too!  I can't wait to see your entry in the gallery!  :)

Thanks, as always, for your visit!  Have a fabby weekend!


















29 comments:

Laurel said...

LOVE that paper, love the card!

Unknown said...

This is so cute! I love your quilt inspiration. I want that quilt.

Lynn said...

Love the mix of all the patterned paper and the subtle bows...stunning design Christina!

Marisa said...

Soo cute! Love all the different papers you used and the stitching across the tops with teh bow at the end is brilliant :) Great take on the challenge!

The Paper Parade said...

AHHHH! Total cuteness!!! I just love the colorful little banners :) And the paper clip is super cute.

Dawn said...

Ack! This card just makes me happy Christina! Really really love what you've done. :)

Karen B. said...

Great selection of patterns for your banners, what a fun card.

LeAnne said...

Oh my gosh, this is just the cutest thing....a wonderful interpretation of that fun quilt and a great take on the inspiration challenge! LOVE those papers!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Christina, this is a really clever card...I love it!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Christina LOVE this. Who'd a thunk? A bunch of banners with mixed patterns looks fabulous! Love stitching and the simple sentiment too.
Hugs.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love all those fun patterns together.

Vickie Z said...

Love it!!! Wonderful choice of papers and love the bows using the ends of stitching!

Maureen said...

super fun! lOVE the papers and the tied thread ends!

Bethany Stellpflug said...

love how you were inspired by the quilt Christina! you used just the right colors on the card for this time of year too :) Have a great day!

Jean Martin said...

Oooh! Christina this is fabby! I am so in love with banners these days. :)

Karen said...

Love the banners

Sharron said...

Those papers are fabulous--love the quilt inspiration! Banners always make me think celebration!

Nance Leedy said...

Christina, this is impossibly cute! Love the mix of papers you selected and your stitching is perfection! Hope you are enjoying the last days of summer. Our daughter is already back to school so we are in full-swing here! ((hugs))

Nerina said...

I love this Christina! It's so full of interest and so happy - and the stitching and bows are fabulous! Just gorgeous.

Suzanne said...

You amaze me, Christina! I love all those banners!

Aimes said...

So fun and fabulous! I love your take on the inspirational Pinterest pic!
Hugs!
x

Judy1223 said...

Christina, what a great idea to search for inspiration on Pinterest! Why didn't I think of that? I love yur banners card...such pretty papers and great circle sentiment popped up!

Albany said...

Such an interesting and contemporary card. Love it!

kasia c. said...

Fabulous!!

Renee said...

Absolutely gorgeous as always!!
Love those paper banners...
the mix of papers is perfect! :)

Unknown said...

Creative indeed and I love the way you did the trick on that patterned papers. Great Job!

polish flag

Kelly Griglione said...

So cool seeing your inspiration behind the card ... great take on the quilt that really translated well into a card!

Tracey McNeely said...

Christina this is totally fun and i love your inspiration.

Monika/Buzsy said...

What an awesome card Christina. Love the row of banners and the stitching! Neat idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...