January 31, 2012

The 12 Kits of Christmas--Month One

This is my second post of the day.  Please scroll down to see my card for the Blog Hop for Cath!

Edited to add:  Renee is generously offering up some blog candy to one lucky commenter!  Be sure to see her post for more details, and leave comments on all of the designers' blogs to increase your chances of winning!



Hello friends!  I'm back with my second post of the day, and it's another special one!  I'm so excited to introduce you to a new group that I'm delighted to be a part of, The 12 Kits of Christmas.

The idea behind this monthly challenge came from fellow stampers Renee Lynch and Suzanne Dahlberg, who were looking for a way to get their holiday cards done in a more timely fashion.  They invited 10 more crafters to join them in a monthly challenge to do just that.

Each month one of us sends a kit of holiday card-making supplies to the rest of the participants.  At the end of the month, we will all post our creations on our blogs.  Hopefully you'll be inspired to get some of your Christmas cards done throughout the year, or even adapt the designs to use for other occasions.

This month's kit was provided by Renee Lynch, and let me just say that she was incredibly generous with the supplies!  Our kits were jam-packed with die cuts, stamped sentiments, patterned papers, gorgeous ribbons, buttons, bells, and pearls.  Here's a peek at the contents:


I had so much fun working with these goodies!  I have 5 cards to share with you today.

I was first drawn to the amazing die cut windows and wanted to make a couple of cards using those.  The first one has a view from outside looking in at a Christmas tree.  I used lots of foam tape to pop up the layers and added some scored lines on the card base to resemble the siding on a house.

Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (Pure Poppy, Simply Chartreuse, Smokey Shadow, White)
Stamp:  Waltzingmouse (2011 Holiday Ornaments)
Tools:  Poppystamps (Grand Madison Window die), Cheery Lynn (O Tannenbaum Christmas Tree die), Papertrey Ink (Double Ended Banner die, Diamonds impression plate), scoring board
Accessories:  Ranger (silver Stickles), Michaels (silver pearls)

For the next card, I wanted to show a scene looking out of a window.  It uses die cuts from PTI's In the Meadow, embossed cardstock to resemble snow, and some gorgeous baker's twine.

Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (Spring Moss, Pure Poppy, True Black, White)
Stamp: Waltzingmouse (Compliments of the Season)
Tools:  Poppystamps (Grand Madison Window die), Papertrey Ink (In the Meadow dies, Woodgrain impression plate), McGill (tag punch), polka dot embossing folder
Accessories:  baker's twine

My next card uses some of the patterned paper Renee provided, from October Afternoon's Holiday Style.  I couldn't resist using the sentiment from Waltzingmouse's Compliments of the Season with some silver jingle bells.

Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (True Black, Pure Poppy, White)
Patterned paper:  October Afternoon (Holiday Style)
Stamp:  Waltzingmouse (Compliments of the Season)
Ink:  Papertrey Ink (Chamomile Tea Dye), black
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (Mat Stack 4 die, Sheet Music impression plate, Holiday Photo Finishers die), Spellbinders (oval die), corner rounder
Accessories:  ivory seam binding, silver bells

I wanted to make a really simple card to highlight the horse-drawn sleigh from PTI's In the Meadow, so I layered the snow banks with foam tape on an Aqua Mist card base, added a sentiment banner, and adhered two die cut stars from Memory Box's Star of Wonder.

Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (Aqua Mist, True Black, White)
Stamp:  Waltzingmouse (2011 Holiday Ornaments)
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (In the Meadow dies, Double Ended Banner die), Memory Box (Star of Wonder die)
Accessories:  red pearls

For the last card, I decided to CASE a design from Paper Crafts' Holiday Cards & More Vol. 6.  Right next to my card in this issue (on page 41), Veronica Zalis had a beautiful card made from patterned paper strips on a kraft base, and I just loved the mix and match look.  I added some red seam binding and a wooden button to my version.

Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (Kraft, White0
Patterned paper:  October Afternoon (Holiday Style)
Stamp:  Waltzingmouse (Say it with Style)
Ink:  Papertrey Ink (Chamomile Tea Dye), red
Tools:  EK Success (border punch)
Accessories:  wood button, red seam binding, DMC floss, thread

Ready for more?  Here are links to the rest of the 12 Kits of Christmas team:


Suzanne:  The Card Yard
Jeanne: AKeptLife

I can't wait to hop around and see what they've made!

Thanks for visiting!  I'll be back later today with a new ColourQ palette!

30 comments:

Marisa said...

Looky at you with so many cards!! Love the window frames with the images and the country Christmas one has great DPs. Wanting to go on a sleigh ride now too LOL! Wonderful work on each one :)

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness what a great idea, and your cards are FABULOUS!

Lynn said...

Ahh...I am drooling over all these gorgeous creations! What a great idea! Love them all.

The Paper Parade said...

What a beautiful array of cards. I'm really impressed at how many you were able to make of simply gorgeous Christmas cards! I love the look of the shingles outside the house on the first one, and that its looking into a dark house with that gorgeous tree, what a great idea! Then the wood wall on the second? NICE! And love that tag wrapped around the window :) The third has that showstopper bow that I am totally loving. The fourth looks great with the light blue sky. This one is CAS and beautiful. And on the last one, love the layers of patterned paper with the stitching, and the huge bow with the button! Simply lovely, every single one :)

Karen B. said...

Wow, I mean WOW! These cards are amazing! Love the window idea on the top ones!

Ginger Claire said...

giggle - that's twice I've ended up at your blog today, and aren't I glad I did. What a beautiful set of cards, love them all xx

Marybeth said...

Christina your cards are beautiful , I love what you have created out of the kit. Love the beautiful bows you made with the bells. They are all stunning and so fresh and clean, don't know how you always pull that off. I like the way you used all the papers in that last card, so pretty.

Cathy Weber said...

5 cards!!! That is amazing, every one is a work of art. My very favorite though is the very last, love all the layering and especially loved your beautiful bow. Wish I could do that! I also loved the stitching on that one. The card with the sleigh and the gorgeous stars, elegant and striking.

Kim Heggins said...

Now that I have pinned all of your cards from this challenge, I can leave my comments...all of your cards are just so stunning and beautiful. It really is fun to go back and look at what all of us have done and see the similarities and differences. My personal favorite is the one with the little girl sledding behind the window and the tag is just so sweet and perfect.

Sharron said...

These are all so fabulous, Christina! I love your clean, fresh style--plus each card has such perfect detail! You really have an eye for color and placement. Adore the window cards--each with just the right amount of embossing! The ribbon & bells look wonderful on the next card and I really like the aqua & red with the sleigh. Adore the mix of patterns on the last one--the added stitching and your gorgeous bow & button look fantastic!

Nancy Guse said...

Your cards are wonderful, love the window, pattern paper, all of it!

Joyce said...

You are putting me to shame. You created so many lovely cards, I don't even know where to start without writing a novel. I adore the first two cards, and love how one is looking in and one is looking out. The scoring on the red is brilliant. The third card is just my style, and I wish I had done it. I was actually trying for something like that, but couldn't pull it off. Now, I can Case yours, because I see the way. The aqua mist in the background of the 4th card is the perfect touch to make all the other elements pop. And, the last card is brilliant in it's simplicity. I love how you have pulled all the different patterns together with stitching and that gorgeous bow.

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful cards! All beautiful, but my favorite is that very simple, elegant one with the sled on the blue background. It's just gorgeous.

Renee said...

WOW!!!
I bow in awe!
Let me just start by saying I'm stealing every single one of these gorgeous beauties...
we had the same kits...
and I could have never come up with these cards...
I'm embarrassed :(
But they are breathtaking...
the "siding"...
the woodgrain...
the Aquamist...
the stitching...
I'm gobsmacked!

Jeanne J. said...

Christina! Wow you were inspired! I am amazed at how you got so many original ideas from the kit! All are beautiful - I love your embossed backgrounds and clean look.

Jean Martin said...

Heehee! Well look at you girl!!! Busy! Busy! Busy! This is such a fun thing that you ladies are doing!!! It's almost like a card making party! I LOVE your cards!!! I should make my Christmas cards in advanced too. I always say I will but I never manage to finish! Thanks for all the inspiration! :)

Robin Cooper said...

Beautiful cards!! Thanks for sharing.

Pauline said...

Wow! You got heaps of cards from this fab kit! Love all of them, fabulous designs! Love the tree behind the window, it makes such a lovely little scene!

Kara said...

Such beautiful cards, Christina! I especially love the serene one with the blue background and the last card with all of the wonderful patterns!!

Deborah Frings said...

A fabulous set of cards from this kit!! They are all super, but my favourite is the last one with the different papers and super stitching! Thank you ladies, I've enjoyed that!

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh my what beautiful cards you created Christina! You have got such an amazing start for next Christmas. What a fantastic idea Renee came up with.

Suzanne said...

WOW! 1st of all, what's up with the 3 posts in one day! You're putting us to shame with your MANY gorgeous creations! I love how you scored lines to make it look like siding...beautiful. Love the last one...just the sentiment with perfect patterned papers! Love the IP in the windows too....too much. Too much love!

Jen W. said...

This is such a brilliant idea and I love all your cards! I'm really going to enjoy hopping through these every month!

Sherry said...

I love the simplicity of your horse-drawn sleigh card, and the view through the window of the Christmas tree. Very well done!

Kathy Mc said...

Christina, my jaw dropped while viewing your post. All of your cards are absolutely gorgeous. Hard to believe all 12 of you came up with so many different creations after receiving the same kit from Renee. This blog hop showcases so many wonderful cards to CASE. Sure hope I win her blog candy!

Amy Kolling said...

Ok, well I saved the best for last! 5 FABULOUS cards Christina! So I have to mention my favorite......That last card. Love love the patterns sewn together with your gorgeous bow and wooden button!!! Beautiful way to use the black silhouette with the aqua card base.....CAS and very CASEable for sure! I may need to buy these dies just to CASE this card my dear! And yes I do believe great minds think alike with the window die........Love your scored background and stickled star! :) You have raised the bar.....This is one of the most fun things I've been a part of! Thanks for your inspiration Christina! So proud to be in this group!

Shelley said...

Beautiful cards, each and every one of them. What a great group and concept!

Andrea M said...

You have been busy my friend! These cards, every last one, are GORGEOUS! I do love the in the meadow silhouette card but they are all AMAZING!

Lisa Petrella said...

AMAZING creations!!! LOVE them all!!!

Veronica Z said...

All of your cards are absolutely fabulous! I know I am very late in posting a comment but I was looking for something via google and I came across your blog mentioning a card I created in the Holiday Cards and More issue. I AM so flattered, you totally made my day. Have a fantastic weekend!

Veronica Z

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...