December 16, 2010

2010 Christmas Tag


Hello, friends!  Today I thought I'd share with you the tags I will be using on my holiday gifts for extended family and friends.  We travel from Massachusetts to Ohio and Indiana after Christmas, so I pack up all of the presents in an extra suitcase with my gift-wrapping materials.  To make things easier, I decided to use patterned kraft gift bags this year.  This serves two purposes:  first, they fold up flat and take up very little room in the suitcase, and second, they are not glossy and so are recyclable, unlike most wrapping paper and other bags.  Plus, I *heart* kraft!

Here is one of the bags I picked up at Jo-Ann for 60% off a few days ago.  Score!  I got several in different sizes with the same pattern.


I took most of my design elements directly from the bag, including the colors, the tree image, and the swirl in the corner.  I decided to put a place for the recipient's name on the back, and I stamped the year:

Cardstock:  Bazzill (kraft), Papertrey Ink (Pinefeather, Pure Poppy)
Patterned paper:  Papertrey Ink (Distressed Dots)
Stamps:  Papertrey Ink (Background Basic:  Text Style, Fancy Flourishes, Boxes, Bags, & Tags, Mini Scrapbook Series:  Library Ledger), WPlus9 (Poinsettia Patterns), Martha Stewart (Serif Font)
Ink:  Ranger Distress (Tea Dye), Clearsnap (Evergreen)
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (Tag Sale #1 die, Tree die, Woodgrain impression plate), EK Success (circle punch)
Accessories:  Papertrey Ink (buttons, ribbon, twine), DMC floss, thread

Here's what the tag looks like attached to the bag.  I'm wishing I had picked up plain red tissue to stuff inside, but this coordinating tissue was 60% off too!


To make this tag:
1.  Die cut tag from kraft cardstock.  Stamp bottom with text using tea dye ink.  Stamp flourish and numbers in top corner.  Flip tag over to the back and stamp year at the bottom.
2.  Cut a strip of patterned paper, mat with red cardstock, and stitch edges.  Adhere to tag.
3.  Die cut tree from green cardstock and trim edges.  Deboss with woodgrain impression plate.  Embellish with stitched buttons and attach to tag with foam adhesive.
4.  Cut a small strip of kraft cardstock and stamp with sentiment.  Adhere to tag.
5.  Flip tag over to the back.  Cut a strip of patterned paper and adhere at bottom.  Stamp scalloped circle frame on kraft cardstock.  Stamp with the word "To:".  Punch out circle and adhere to tag.
6.  Add ribbon to top of tag and tie with jute twine.

The only thing I might do differently on the rest is to use red twill ribbon, but satin is what I happened to have handy today.

If you're inspired to make a tag or other type of gift packaging, I'd love to see, so leave me a comment with a link and I'll be sure to stop by!  Thanks for visiting today!

12 comments:

Marisa said...

This is fabulous, Christina. Way to go on the sale and I love how you've coordinated that darling little tag. Safe travels to you and your family!

Shelley said...

Isn't this the sweetest little tag! You've packed a lot punch into this small space. From the embossing to the stitching and buttons, it's just wonderful! And it will look equally as wonderful if you change it to twill!

Niki Estes said...

Perfect tag for that bag! I love the texture on the tree!

Nance Leedy said...

Wow, this is a mini piece of art! So many wonderful little elements make for a beautiful gift tag...and how clever of you to coordinate with the bag and tissue! Yours will be the best-dressed gifts there! :-)

Diane Jaquay said...

LOVE that tag Christina! The combo of the bag and tag will make a fabulous gift presentation!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Such a lovely tag Christina. Love that tree die! Great textures.

Anonymous said...

I love your bag with matching tag. So festive and perfect for the holidays!

Laurie said...

This tag is amazing! I love all the details from the woodgrain on the tree to the polka dots in the background! It matches those super cute bags perfectly! Love it!!

xiumaiyuki said...

You are making me wanting that PTI tree die more and more!!!! You showcase it beautifully....again! Love, love this tag. So many wonderful elements. And how fab are those Joann's bags??!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Gorgeous gift packaging Christina! Love this ideas! Hugs ~S~

Unknown said...

What a great idea to buy all the same print of bags and then make these DARLING tags! Simply perfect, I love them:) Merry Christmas!

Nerina said...

This is so beautiful! I absolutely adore the tag it is so full of gorgeous details and looks so finished on your beautiful bag!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...