April 26, 2010

Taylored Expressions #110


Hi there, friends! I was super excited this morning to find out that I made the Super 6 at Card Patterns this week! I highly recommend that you check out the other top cards at the Card Patterns blog today--they are so beautiful and inspiring!

Today I'd like to share the card I made for this fabulous sketch at Taylored Expressions.

So many possibilities! Since a college friend of mine recently had a baby boy, I thought that this sketch would be perfect for using up some patterned paper scraps I've had for a while. I first used a 1 5/8" square punch to cut out the nine squares and adhered them to a coordinating light green, 5" square of paper. Notice the stitching around the edges? You may think I'm crazy but I actually pierced the holes with my sewing machine (unthreaded), then used them as a guide to hand stitch with white floss. Why the extra step? For some reason, when I tried regular machine stitching it wound up looking not so straight, but the machine worked perfectly for piercing holes quickly. I think it must have something to do with the tension on my machine when it is threaded, but I'm too impatient to try and figure it out!

Next I adhered the block to a dark blue, 5 1/4" square card base. I used a Nestabilities circle and scalloped circle to cut out the focal point shape, then stamped the sentiment (from PTI's Mixed Messages) in blue pigment ink. I used dark blue embossing powder and a heat gun to finish the sentiment. Then I stamped a star (from PTI's Star Prints) in red over the top. I adhered a strip of blue ribbon and the circle with foam squares.

Cardstock: Bazill; Patterned paper: Deja Views; Stamps: Papertrey Ink; Ink: Clearsnap; Embossing powder: Hampton Art; tools: EK Success (square punch), Spellbinders (circle dies), Sizzix (die-cutting machine); other: thread, ribbon

To finish the inside, I just adhered a light blue square and a strip of patterned paper from the same set.


And that's it! My instructions are a bit long-winded, but it was pretty simple to put together.

Thanks for stopping by, and for your much-appreciated comments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Cute Card!
Love the colors and the pattern paper... and excellent job with the stitching! :)

Stacey Schafer said...

so super cute, Christina! taylor will LOVE this one, too:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...