January 21, 2011

Color Inspiration Pretty Pastels & CPS #201


Happy Friday, friends!  We're having a snow day today, but the snow ended just a bit ago and now the sun is shining brightly.  Winter can't last forever, right?

I put together a card this morning for another Color Inspiration for Card Makers Week in the Moxie Fab World, this time using the Pretty Pastels combination.  I also used CPS sketch #201






















I had an especially hard time finding just the right colors for this challenge.  I actually have some Bazzill swatch books that I bought a long time ago, but they only included a swatch of Lupine (the lavender).  So I had to guess at the pinks, and most of the examples I have seen, including those on the challenge post, seem brighter than the swatches on my computer screen.  So I wound up using Stampin' Up!'s Rose Red and Regal Rose, plus PTI's Sweet Blush buttons.  The lavender ink is from Studio G, and it was a perfect match to Lupine.

Since I didn't have any patterned paper or cardstock in the lavender color, I was inspired by Chupa to do some simple emboss-resist to create the polka dotted strip.  Here's how:  First, I stamped the polka dots with Versamark onto white cardstock.  Next, I covered them with clear embossing powder and heat embossed.  Finally, I sponged lavender ink all over the cardstock, rubbing it lightly with a clean cotton pad when I was done to remove any ink remaining on the embossed dots.  That's it!

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up! (Regal Rose, Rose Red), Papertrey Ink (white)
Stamps:  Papertrey Ink (Mat Stack 3 Collection, Fillable Frames #11, Polka Dot Basics)
Ink:  Studio G (lavender), Inkadinkadoo (Black), Versamark
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (Mat Stack 3 die, scallop border die, Linen & Canvas impression plate), ProvoCraft (Swiss Dots embossing folder), Marvy Uchida (heart punch)
Accessories:  Papertrey Ink (buttons), Stampendous (clear embossing powder), DMC floss, thread

Imagine how excited I was to find the little heart button in my stash!  It works perfectly with this design.

I'm off to get some exercise before I try to sneak in another card this afternoon.  Enjoy the rest of your day, and thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

Marisa said...

This is adorable, Christina! Love how you used the sketch and well done on the emboss resist :)

Jean Martin said...

Cute card Christina. I love what you did with the emboss resist. If I didn't read through your post I would have though it was patterned paper! What a great job! I'm contemplating about that new stamp set if I should get it now or another time...,looks like it's going to be now! Hahaha

Amy Kolling said...

You did a great job with the colors! I think they match perfectly! Love the mat stack piece for the sketch too!

Karen B. said...

I agree, absolutely adorable! I think your colors are spot on!

nancy said...

Great interpretation of the sketch. The placement of the buttons is spot on. I love pastels, but this combination is not working for me. You've been able to turn them into something captivating.

Nance Leedy said...

This is adorable! I think in addition to the stitching and crocheting queen, you are also master of the button! Yours are always perfectly placed and add so much to the design as they do here. Great job on the emboss resist--what a great way to make your own colored paper!!

Lisa Petrella said...

Such a sweet card!!! I love all of the layers, the polka dots, the buttons, and the way you used the Mat Stack 3!!!

Laurie said...

Totally adorable! I love that mat stack stamp! So cute!!

Cristina said...

How cute! I always love some well-placed polka dots, and you used the colors of this challenge PERFECTLY!

Shelley said...

OK, I think between this one and the current Curtain Call Challenge you've convinced me I need to make a purple, red, pink card...now to find the time to stamp!

Nerina said...

Looooooove this!! Your layout is totally fantastic - love the asymmetry of it!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Cristina! Thanks for entering the Pretty Pastels Challenge in the Color Inspiration for Card Makers Week suite of six challenges in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...