I hope your weekend has gone well so far. I have been absent from blog world for a few days (thank you to those who commented and emailed to check on me!).
On Friday afternoon, my kids accidentally left a gate open and let our dog, Maia, out. She ran down the street and disappeared, and we spent the rest of the evening searching and waiting for her to come back. It was a long night, and my plans to make cards for some challenges that were ending that night were understandably forgotten.
We spent Saturday putting up posters around the neighborhood and calling local shelters. It was such a relief when we got a phone call around 3:00 saying that Maia was safe, and we are so happy to have her back at home.
Maia is one of the sweetest dogs you could ever meet, though she is not the type of dog that wants to be in your face all the time. She is incredibly tolerant with my kids, and really, is there anything more important than that? But I didn't realize just how much she meant to our family until she was gone.
I even promised not to call her smelly for at least the next 2 days.
Here's my sweet girl enjoying a spot of sun, which she just happens to be doing right now as I type.
Okay, on to other things. Recently I received a couple of awards that I need to pass on. I am terrible about posting these, so I apologize if you have given me an award in the past that I did not acknowledge here on the blog! The hardest part for me is passing it on to just a few of my friends, because I don't want to leave anyone out.
The first award is the Stylish Blogger Award, which I received from my new friend, Suzanne from The Card Yard.
I am supposed to share 8 things about myself and pass the award on to 8 stylish bloggers, so here goes:
1. In my life before kids, I was a biologist studying early development in fruit flies. Many of my days were spent dissecting the ovaries out of a bug the size of a pencil lead.
2. My first semester of college, I was a vocal performance major. I stayed active in the university chorus and individual voice lessons throughout college, but I haven't sung for years.
3. For one winter term in college, I spent 2 weeks in Puerto Rico studying coqui frogs. There were rats in our field station and ants in our cereal, but it was the most exciting adventure of my life, and I'd do it again in a second.
4. I read just about anything I can get my hands on concerning nutrition, and I have given up eating sugar and grains. I've considered starting a nutrition and fitness blog to chronicle my journey, but I haven't decided if I want to tackle it yet.
5. I am a staunch advocate for environmental protection and education on climate change.
6. I have always been a tomboy, have absolutely no interest in fashion, and I rarely wear makeup. But I love my daughter's girly nature and find that I can't resist buying her pretty things.
7. My absolute favorite season is fall. I love everything about it, except that it is followed by winter.
8. I love to crochet, mostly afghans, but I have to be careful not to aggravate my carpal tunnel. I find it incredibly meditative and a great way to keep my hands busy while I'm watching TV.
I'd like to pass the award on to these 8 lovely bloggers:
1. Kasia C.--The Nature of Crafty Things
2. Andrea M.--Work in Progress
3. Karen B.--The Bald Dragonfly
4. Diane Jaquay--Peaceful Lane
5. Smita--Kreativity and Me
6. Kim Singdahlsen--Joyful Creations with Kim
7. Karen T.--Luv to Stamp
8. Marisa--Rosemary Reflections
The second award I have to pass on is the Cherry on Top Award, from my sweet friend Yuki.
For this award, the directions are to:
1. Thank the person who gave it to you. Thanks again, Yuki!
2. Post the award on your blog. Check!
3. List three things you love about yourself. I am very independent. I am a loyal friend. I love to learn new things. Okay, a bit generic but I've already shared some facts about me above, so I'm running out of ideas!
4. Post a picture you love right now: Definitely this one of my son, Will, who surprised me a few days ago by writing his name. He *loves* the letter W.
5. Pass this award on to 5 people:
1. Nance--Canopy Crafts
2. Lindsay--Note to Self
3. Jessica--The Paper Parade
4. Jean Martin--Stampin' Scrapper
5. Nerina--A Creative Inkling
Enjoy, ladies! And I won't be the least bit offended if any of you decide not to post the award or pass it on, as I am notoriously bad about doing it myself!
Okay, time to get out and enjoy some of this beautiful spring weather. I hope to be back with a card very soon! Enjoy your Sunday!