May 24, 2010

Embellish Magazine Color challenge & Card Patterns 65


Hi there! I want to say thanks to all of you who wished my son well after his trip to the ER. He is as wild and crazy (and adorable) as ever, so I'd say he's recovered!

Today's card is for the color challenge at Embellish Magazine, which also calls for the use of butterflies. I most definitely can not resist butterflies, though it has been a while since I used them on a project, so this was a must for me! I also used a very simple but versatile sketch found at Card Patterns this week.



The butterfly is covered in sparkly black glitter. To do this, I first stamped the image with Versamark on kraft, then fussy cut the image out. Then I stamped the image a second time, this time using a glue pad, and covered it with glitter. The sentiment I attempted to heat emboss, but for some reason that only works for me about half the time. No matter how quickly I work, sometimes the powder just doesn't stick. Any advice?


Cardstock: Bazzill (kraft), Papertrey Ink (Spring Moss)
Stamps: Martha Stewart Crafts (butterfly), Papertrey Ink (Background Basics: Tin Types, Mega Mixed Messages)
Ink: Versamark, Clearsnap (black)
Die: Spellbinders (square)
Ribbon, rhinestones: Michaels
other: Sakura (pen), Hampton Art (glue pad)


I love the wide satiny ribbon, and the black rhinestones add a bit more sparkle to what I think is a very elegant color combination. If I could change one thing about this card, I think I would have stamped a different background, because it doesn't seem to go with the rest of the card. What do you think?


I finished out the inside of the card with a simple black outline and a row of stamped butterflies on Spring Moss cardstock.

That's all for tonight! Lots to do this week, but hopefully I'll be able to participate in the PTI Blog Hop tomorrow night. It will be my first! Hope to see you there!

8 comments:

Maureen said...

beautiful butterfly and great use of the colours :)

Nance Leedy said...

I wouldn't change a thing...it's beautiful just the way it is. I love the soft background stamping. It really makes that dramatic butterfly pop! Love your decorated inside too. Glad to hear your son is back to normal!

Smita said...

Nice! The butterfly is very pretty...

whoistracy said...

Beautiful! Love the soft colors and that gorgeous butterfly.

Edna Morrisedie said...

That's one great butterfly, I played along with both of these challenges but not together, well done combining them!!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty card! I love the background and the way you decorated the inside. :)

dstandard said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for playing at Card Patterns!

Ashley Cannon Newell said...

Wonderful design! Thanks so much for joining us in the Embellish Butterflies Challenge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...