March 22, 2010

My First Challenge

Hi there! One of the reasons why I started this blog was to take advantage of all the great sketches and challenges on various sites. Today I'm sharing a card I made using Card Patterns Sketch 56. This card is for my Grandma, whose favorite flower is the dogwood.

Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: Colorbok; Stamps: Oriental Trading Company, The Paper Studio; Ink: Clearsnap; Chalk: EK Success; Gems: Michael's

I just love how these pretty little flowers turned out! I cut them out by hand from white cardstock, then used some brown chalk and ink to add the detail on the tips of the petals. Next I wanted to give it some texture, so I added "veins" to the petals using an empty ball point pen. I found that it helped to put a piece of foam underneath, as this helped make a smoother, deeper impression. Why didn't I just use a stylus? The one I had was too wide to give this level of detail, and I had a dried up pen on hand, so it seemed like a good idea!


I'd love to hear your comments! Are you participating in the Card Patterns sketch this week?

Have a great day!



6 comments:

Kathy said...

I love how you distressed the dogwood leaves..so realistic and beautiful. Happy Spring :)

dstandard said...

Beautiful card!Thanks for joining us at Card Patterns!

Dawn said...

Oh, the inking on those petals adds so much! Beautiful layout and gorgeous card.

Sudha - Art Admirer said...

Lovely work dear.

NinaB said...

Love your birthday card. Thanks for joining us this week at Card Patterns.

Laurie said...

OK I love this! The patterened paper and the stitching is so cute! Great card!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...