May 24, 2012

CASE Study #92


Welcome back, CASE Study fans!  It's been such a treat having Aga as our Muse this month, and from the gorgeous cards I've seen in the gallery each week, it's clear that you agree!  This week's inspiration is a CAS beauty with a fun, textured focal image:

By Agnieska
Isn't it amazing?  In addition to the unique textured letter, I was inspired by the theme (though I went with Father's Day instead of Mother's Day) and the dark frame.

For the texture on my letters, I decided to give them the look and feel of a basketball.  I found some embossed basketball paper at Michael's, but the color didn't really work for this card, so I decided to make my own letters.

First I used my Silhouette to cut the letters from white cardstock.  I cut out three sets and stacked them to make faux chipboard.  For the bumpy texture, I dabbed them with dots of Enamel Accents and let them dry for a few hours.


Once they were dry, I gave the letters a couple of coats of orange paint.  After the paint dried, I enhanced the dimensional look by dabbing on some tea dye ink.  I wasn't sure the ink would "grab" onto the paint, but I quick-dried it with my heat gun and had no problem with it rubbing off.

To complete the look, I made a "hardwood" basketball court for the background by debossing a kraft panel with woodgrain, cutting it into strips, and sponging the strips with tea dye before piecing them back together.

Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (Kraft, White), Bazzill (Blackbird)
Stamps:  Papertrey Ink (Star Prints)
Ink:  Memento (Tuxedo Black), Papertrey Ink (Chai tea dye)
Tools:  Silhouette Cameo, Papertrey Ink (Woodgrain impression plate)
Misc.:  Ranger (Enamel Accents), paint

There are so many fun things you could do with the challenge this week!  Stop by the CASE Study blog to see the rest of the DT samples for more inspiration.

Thanks for your visit, friends!  Have a fantastic Thursday!

24 comments:

Laura B. said...

So, so cool! Love how you created those letters!

Maureen said...

wowza, Christina! SO cool! Love what you did with the letters...great idea for some masculine texture :) Eek! I love it!

Marisa said...

What a fun Father's Day card!! Love it :) Great case!

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness...I so love the texture! what a brilliant card and thanks for the enamel accents idea :0)
Jenny x

xiumaiyuki said...

Every element on this card is amazing! From the hardwood court(which is the trend now, but thanks to you... I now can recreate that look with what I already have! Yay) to the "dad", which catches your eyes right away. Fabulous!

Lynn said...

Oh my...I love how you gave them a basketball feel...that is absolutely beyond clever. the woodgrain is to die for too!

Renee said...

This is incredible!!
All the details to this...
those fabulous letters...
the floor!!
Awe inspiring!! :)

Cristina said...

Genius on the bumpy texture!

Lisa said...

Love the wood background and the riveted letters! Fun card ;)

Tracey McNeely said...

Christina this is just fantastic! I love this technique, thanks for sharing. Such a wonderful Father's Day card.

JJ Bolton said...

This is so awesome! I love the texture!

Thanks so much for explaining your techniques (and the thought process behind them)!

Sharron said...

Wow, this is such a cool card! The background flooring is awesome and the letters pure genius!!

Marybeth said...

What a wonderful idea! When I first saw your card, I said I have to get me some of that basketball paper for my guys. Love your simple perfect card, even though it was not too simple to make.

Virginia L. said...

How COOL!! Love your DIY chipboard with TEXTURES! You rock with the challenge, Christina!

Bethany said...

wonderful card! I love the texture :)

Mandy LaCroix said...

I love this card and great inspiration for custom making accents to match (rather than buying EVEN more)!! Great card!!!

Karen B. said...

Beautiful texture and how cool to create a basketball set up on your card!

Jackie Rockwell said...

VERY COOL texture! It really does look like the texture of a basketball! Really handsome card.

Gayatri said...

Wow! What great textures on the card, Cristina? Awesome masculine card. Love it all :)

lostinpaper said...

Fantastic card! Perfect masculine design, with the kraft 'wood' bg and bright dotted 'dad'. Love it totally!

Laurie said...

OK wow. WOW. LOVE this Christina! That woodgrain background is FABULOUS!!

Nance Leedy said...

OMG, love everything about this! The hardwood floor is awesome, your basketball letters are the bomb and the layout is fantastic...WOW! You rocked it, my friend!

Shelley Germann said...

OK, I know I've been going current to older posts, but you have some serious mojo going on! You have been doing some innovative stuff here! So, glad I'm getting to see it all!

Linda Beeson said...

That wood background is just plain brilliant! NICE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...