February 2, 2012

CASE Study #76


Hello friends!  So glad you stopped by--you're in for a real treat today.  We're introducing a new Muse for the month of February at CASE Study, and let me just say that this designer's creations are jaw-droppingly gorgeous!  Welcome to Karola Witczak!

If you have not been to Karola's blog yet, make sure you grab a beverage and settle in for a spell before clicking over.  Her style is beautifully detailed, romantic and incredibly inspiring.

This week's inspiration from Karola is a stunning, nature-inspired Valentine:

By Karola Witczak
I took just a few of the elements that I was most drawn to and incorporated them into my own clean and simple style:  the colors aqua, spring green, and cream; the butterflies; and the square panels.

I decided to revisit a sketch from a Paper Crafts special issue, Card Idea for Paper Crafters.  I first used a pencil to lightly sketch a grid on the left side of a piece of Spring Moss cardstock, then punched 1 3/8 inch squares.  After stamping a sentiment from Annabelle Stamps' Garden Silhouettes, I gave this panel a little texture with the Linen & Canvas impression plate.

In the bottom right corner of the grid, I layered two die cut butterflies with an Aqua Mist button.  Then I popped the panel up with foam tape on an Aqua Mist card base.  Behind the "windows", I put a square of fabulous woodgrain cardstock from A Muse Studio that my friend Suzanne gave me a while back.  (Thanks, Suzanne!)  A couple more aqua buttons finish it off.


Cardstock:  Papertrey Ink (Spring Moss, Aqua Mist, Vintage Cream)
Patterned cardstock:  A Muse Studio (Woodgrain)
Stamp:  Annabelle Stamps (Garden Silhouettes)
Ink:  Stampin' Up! (Early Espresso)
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (butterfly dies, Linen & Canvas impression plate), EK Success (square punch), corner rounder
Accessories:  Papertrey Ink (buttons), DMC floss

I'm really looking forward to seeing your take on our new Muse's creation!  Don't forget to stop by and see the rest of the samples from the Design Team (and they are incredible this week, as always!) and give Karola a warm welcome.

Thanks for visiting!

21 comments:

Joyce said...

You did a really great job simplifying the original card. That one is beautiful, but yours is much more my style. I like those layered butterflies.

Marisa said...

Love how you used the colours and the woodgrain is a great touch. Fabulous case :)

Lindsay said...

So fabulous Christina! I love the colors and the negative space with the woodgrain!

Lynn said...

Ah...Linen impression plate how I love you...this is no exception :)

Gorgeous CAS card. Love the sketch!

The Paper Parade said...

Oo-la-la this card is just yummy! I love the colors, the windows with the woodgrain, the two butterflies stacked on each other, and the way you have the button behind the window!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Oh fab, love the windows, Woodbridge on butterfly....

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

The was suppose to say wood grain...

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a pretty card Christina. Love your take on the inspiration card. :o)

Marybeth said...

This is a great window card , love the wood. The butterfly looks so pretty in the very soft colors. Beautiful layout and card!

Magda Polakow said...

Beautiful card! Love all colours and 'windows' :)
Magda

Ally said...

Love your card, Christina. The colors are arranged so wonderfully, and I love the butterflies with that sentiment. The buttons are a perfect touch. Very lovely. ;-)

Jeanne J said...

Hi Christina - Great take on the inspiration - I can see the influence. I love your clean graphic style. Your placement of the buttons is perfect - they hold your interest.

Sara Mac said...

Wonderful card Christina. Great layout and colors. You always know the perfect place to put those buttons.

Karen B. said...

Love the linen impression plate with the other patterns in your design.

Kara said...

this is awesome Christina!

Sharron said...

Fabulous use of the woodgrain paper and I adore your white on white butterfly! Great layout with everything placed just right--love it!!

Vickie Z said...

Love those negative squares with the woodgrain!!! Buttons and butterfly are perfect!!!

xiumaiyuki said...

WOW. Love this. Pinning it onto my board. :)

Jen W. said...

The wood grain paper is awesome and I love that sentiment stamp!

Suzanne said...

Oh, you are welcome! It's like magic...I could give you a trash bag and you would make something amazing with it!

Shelley Germann said...

What an inspiration! Very clever use of the woodgrain stamp. I like it a lot!

On another note, wowee.....you have 22 posts already this year! When you do you sleep? I'm in awe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...