November 29, 2011

ColourQ #113 & CASE Study #67 revisited


Hi friends!  It's time for a new ColourQ challenge, and this week's color combo is full of frosty blues.  The palette comes from this beautiful Jim Shore angel, which is likely to inspire some wintry creations.

I used the layout of Kryssi Ng's card at CASE Study as a jumping-off point again.  This was actually the first of the two cards I made for this challenge. 

I used WPlus9's Woodgrain Silhouettes Additions, stamping the large branch in Marina Mist.  I stamped the small branches in pale blue onto a scrap piece of cardstock, cut them out and attached them to the card base with foam adhesive.  Since I didn't have any Sahara Sand ink, I stamped the bird in Versamark onto Sahara Sand cardstock, heat embossed with clear powder, and cut it out to nestle in the branches.

The sentiment is from Verve's New Mercies, stamped with PTI's Enchanted Evening ink.  I wanted to accent it with a few pearls but didn't have any in the right color, so I improvised by using small die cut circles dotted with Glossy Accents.  Hole punches would also work, but I didn't have the right sizes.  The larger circle comes from PTI's Eyelet border die, and the smaller ones were cut using the Harvest Berries die.  They make a nice, low-profile accent, don't you think?

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up! (Night of Navy, Sahara Sand), Papertrey Ink (white)
Stamps:  WPlus9 Design Studio (Woodgrain Silhouettes Additions), Verve (New Mercies)
Ink:  Stampin' Up! (Marina Mist), Clearsnap (Cape Cod), Papertrey Ink (Enchanted Evening), Versamark
Tools:  Papertrey Ink (Eyelet border die, Harvest Berries die), corner rounder, piercing tool
Accessories:  Ranger (Glossy Accents), Stampendous (clear embossing powder) 

This card went in the mail yesterday to my brother and his girlfriend, whose dog lost her battle with a thyroid tumor over the weekend.  She was a sweet pup who underwent surgery a few years ago to remove a tumor, but sadly it came back and her health was starting to deteriorate.  It was a heart-wrenching decision for them to have her put to sleep, but I know they will have lots of wonderful memories of her as time goes on.  It's amazing how much space our furry friends take up in our hearts, isn't it?

Thanks for spending a bit of your day here with me.  I appreciate your visits and comments so much!

I hope you'll play along with us at the ColourQ this week!  Don't forget to leave some love for the rest of the Royal Court DT while you're at it.  

Have a great day!

23 comments:

Rachel Izakowicz said...

Stunning! Love the whole thing - all the details works so well together!

Kim S said...

This is absolutely stunning and how wonderful of you to realize she would need a special card on the loss of her beloved dog.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

This is absolutely gorgeous... the colors work so beautifully together, and you have used them to perfection!

Betty said...

your card is so pretty - love the little bird tucked in there!

Lynn said...

Christina, so sorry for your brother and sister-in-law. Your card is beautiful! I love the sweet bird.

Lindsay said...

Totally lovely Christina! I love all of those different blues!

Marisa said...

Love how you used the colours, Christina! That leaf image is fabulous too :) Congrats on your CTD win!

Maureen said...

what a beautiful, thoughtful card, sure to be appreciated at this sad time. Love all the blues with the kraft :) I'm going to try and fit this one in before I move the studio this weekend ;)

Monika/Buzsy said...

Gorgeous card Christina. The blue shades look fabulous and I love that bird. :o)

kasia c. said...

Christina this is so pretty! I love your little nestled birdie and your inventive "pearls"!!

I am so sorry to hear of your brother's pup. That is always such an awful experience.

xiumaiyuki said...

Love this pretty card and all those shades of blue!

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful Christina.

Jean Martin said...

This is beautiful Christina! You always bring out the best with these stamps! :)

Noelle said...

So sorry about the pup. Pets are like family so often! You know I just love this pretty card, and that sweet bird peeking out. Hugs!

Kristie said...

Beautiful take on the color challenge. Love how you layered the images.

Jen W. said...

My heart goes out to your brother and his girlfriend. It is a heartbreaking decision to have to make but in a way I am grateful that we have the option to relieve them of that kind of pain.
Your card is beautiful and I love the sweet bird nestled in the branches.

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

I'm so sorry about the doggie, Cristina. My heart breaks whenever the animal passes away... Thank you for playing again with us, your card is simply amazing - all of yours are!

Karen B. said...

This card is super amazing, all the colors are just so soothing. I think someone should convince Dawn that she needs to make a corresponding die for this set! The trimmed bird is just perfect!

Cristina said...

I think you might be the only person this week in the CASE gallery who shifted the image to the other side of the card. Love that. And those blues? Dreamy.

Debby said...

Lovely colour combination and so suitable for the theme of the card. Thanks for joining as at CASE study.

Marlena M. said...

I think it's so thoughtful that you made them this beautiful card, Christina. Furry friends do wiggle their way into our hearts. ;)

Jenny said...

Oh this is just amazing Christina, love all the perfect details from the beautiful colours to the row of stitch holes :)
Jenny x

Andrea M said...

WOW! This is a BEAUTIFUL card Christina! I'm sure your friends will appreciate it - pets become part of the family so it's hard to say goodbye for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...